As Steve Martin once said, “A celebrity is any well-known TV or movie star who looks like he spends more than 2 hours working on his hair.” As celebrities appear in public quite regularly, we tend to believe that we know all about their lives. However, it turns out that we’re much less knowledgeable about them than we’re used to thinking.
Smiles Tv gathered the most surprising facts about famous personalities you probably haven’t heard before. And don’t miss our bonus at the end — you’ll see what your favorite stars would look like if they were ordinary people.
- Emma Watson was actually born in France. Her English parents lived in Maisons-Laffitte near Paris until they separated in 1995. At the age of 5, Watson moved back to England to live with her mother in Oxfordshire.
- Bob Marley’s father was white. Marley’s father, Norval Marley, was a British naval captain. At the age of about 60, he met an 18-year-old daughter of African descent, Cedella Malcolm, who got pregnant and delivered little Bobby on February 6, 1945, in Jamaica.
- Elvis Presley was a natural blond. When Elvis was born, he had blond hair but, as he aged, it gradually turned a sandy color. During his senior years, he started occasionally dying his hair black until he eventually left this color that later became a part of his famous personality.
- Keanu Reeves has experienced a lot of suffering in his life. When he was only 3 years old, his father left their family. At the age of 23, his best friend, River Phoenix, died of a drug overdose. In 1999, his girlfriend, Jennifer Syme, got pregnant, but it was a stillborn birth. 18 months later, Jennifer died in a car crash.
- Taylor Swift’s first job was on a farm where her family grew Christmas trees. As a teen, she checked the cut trees for bugs — she was supposed to knock the praying mantis pods out of them.
- Halle Berry was named after a department store. Halle’s parents selected the name for her from Halle’s Department Store, which was then a local landmark in her birthplace of Cleveland, Ohio.
Liam Payne has a fear of other people’s spoons. His distaste for this kitchen utensil came from his childhood. At school, he was a bit naughty, and the teachers made him do the washing up as a punishment. Since that time, Liam doesn’t like eating with spoons that belong to other people.
- Matthew McConaughey has a food fetish. Taste is Matthew’s most sensual sense, and sometimes he just has to stop eating because the feeling is so strong. When he eats something really delicious, he gets tingles down his spine, so he usually prefers to stay hungry in order not to feel so overwhelmed.
- Natalie Portman has a Bachelor’s degree in psychology. In 1999, she took a 4-year break from her acting career to pursue a psychology degree at Harvard. During her time as a student, Portman even contributed to 2 studies published in scientific journals.
- Steve Buscemi once worked as a New York City firefighter. When he was a young man, Buscemi served in the FDNY’s Engine Company for 4 years. After 9/11, he volunteered with his old station and worked 12-hour shifts for several days alongside other firefighters.
- Matthew Perry is missing the top knuckle of his middle finger on the right hand. When Perry was 3 years old, he lost it in an unfortunate accident in a nursery school — he slammed the knuckle in a door.
- Scarlett Johansson has a younger twin brother whose name is Hunter. Unlike Scarlett, he is mostly interested in the political world and charity projects. However, Hunter once appeared in the 1996 comedy-drama film Manny & Lo with his sister.
- Demi Moore was cross-eyed when she was young. As a child, she even had to wear an eyepatch to correct her wonky left eye. Although the condition was ultimately corrected by several surgeries, her eye still can’t track correctly from time to time. During those days, Demi usually wears sunglasses.
Johnny Depp is deathly afraid of clowns. His phobia dates back to his childhood when he had nightmares in which clowns’ faces were leering at him. Depp explains that it’s their painted faces and fake smiles that upset him most of all — the makeup hides their real faces so that it’s impossible to figure out if they’re happy or hiding the fact that they are about to bite your face off.
Jennifer Lopez is the first person in history to have a number one movie and a number one album in the same week. In 2001, The Wedding Planner, a romantic comedy film in which she played one of the leading roles, and her second album J.Lo were released in the same week.
- David Bowie’s left eye was permanently dilated. When he was 15 years old, Bowie got into a fight over a girl with his school friend George Underwood. Underwood’s fingernail scratched the surface of Bowie’s eyeball, paralyzing its muscles. As a result, his left pupil remained expanded for the rest of his life.
- Nicolas Cage once owned a pet octopus. The price of this unusual pet was $150,000, but, according to the actor’s statement, it was absolutely worth the money — studying its movements helped him with his acting career.
- Madonna worked at Dunkin’ Donuts. When she dropped out of college and moved to New York City, she was short of money, so she took a job at Dunkin’ Donuts in Times Square. However, the famous diva didn’t even last a day — she got fired for squirting jelly from donuts on the customers.
Bonus: what celebrities would look like if they lived an ordinary life:
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Beyoncé and Jay-Z
Madonna and Lady Gaga
David And Victoria Beckham
Sarah Jessica Parker
Which fact impressed you the most? Share your opinions with us in the comments!